Management and completion
The relationship between the Navy, owner of the monument, and the city council of Brindisi, owner of the surrounding parks and bastions, was settled by an agreement signed on 22 December 1934 for the management and use of the monument.
The Navy was responsible for the custody and maintenance of the monument, the crypt, the access steps and the terraces leading to the gun platforms, as well as outdoor lighting. The city council was responsible for the custody, maintenance and lighting of the upper and lower squares, the parks and gardens and the side ramparts.
In the following years two more projects were presented for the surrounding area: a park in remembrance of those lost at sea, and a tree-lined avenue extending the viale Duca degli Abruzzi towards Punta Penne, with a pine forest. Neither was realized.
In 1938 the monument's lighting was installed at the city's expense. At the end of the 1940s the whole area still appeared bare and unadorned.
